Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Exodus

Last Thursday at our weekly ladies meeting it was my turn to speak. I'm not much of a speaker, I leave all that up to O. And if it were up to me I wouldn't probably choose to speak at all, especially not in Hindi. But it was assigned to me and the fact is, I kind of knew it would be my turn even before our leader told me, I already had the message on my heart.

Last October I was reading through Exodus and I came to this verse, "Then Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and all that night the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind and turned it into dry land." (14:21)

I have often read the story of the crossing of the Red Sea but last October three words jumped out at me that I had never noticed before. "All That Night."

Wow. For my whole life I had always pictured Moses holding his hand and staff out over the sea and the waters parting the way elevator doors open. Push the button and shooooop, the doors separate right before your eyes.

But it wasn't like that it all. There was a whole night involved and a strong east wind. Yet, the fact that the parting took longer than I had always imagined it had takes nothing away from the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea.

The story of Exodus chapter 14 was my message, with the emphasis on the fact that all of us have long and lingering problems of some sort in our personal lives and it may seem to us that God is not answer or taking too long.

I was able to give a very current example from our own life, so current that moments before I left for the ladies meeting O. shared with me that we were facing a big problem (part of a longer lingering problem) that had to be solved by the next day.

As I drove over to the meeting I thought, how can I give this message if I don't have faith myself in what I'm speaking. I did end up sharing our problem with the ladies, we all prayed and the next day many of us fasted and prayed some more. By Friday night, the deadline was up and O. called me over at the end of our regular Friday fasting prayer meeting and said that at around 7PM that night our problem had been solved. Praise the Lord! I admit I had faith that something would happen, but I was suspecting more of a postponement of the problem than a solution.

Wow, I can't wait to share during testimony time with the ladies this Thursday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's pretty amazing. Praying your talk went well. It's interesting you noted that, as I just noticed that as well when I was reading through exodus in February - interesting how the HS reveals to us when we need it most. :)