Thursday, November 20, 2008

Abscess

I was admitted in the hospital for the 2nd time in my life (other than deliveries) yesterday morning. Second time in four days actually, and it wasn't even labor pains.

I had an ABSCESS.

By Tuesday night I was in such terrible pain I knew I had to be the first one to see the doctor on Wednesday morning. It was a good thing that I had just been admitted there because the nurses and all the staff members rushed me right in, (thinking I was in labor - again. I wasn't.)

The doctor took one look at me and said, "Oh, you look sick." She took one look at my sore bottom (yes, that's where it was) and said, "This is a deep abscess, I need to operate on this."

Abscess
An abscess is a collection of pus. Pus is a thick fluid that usually contains white blood cells, dead tissue and bacteria (germs). The usual cause of an abscess is an infection with bacteria.

Where do abscesses form?
The skin. Most abscesses form just under the skin. A boil is the most common example. In this case, a hair root becomes infected and develops into a small abscess. The skin next to the anus is another common area for an abscess to develop. The symptoms of a skin abscess include: swelling, redness, pain, and warmth over the affected area.

Who gets abscesses? Most skin abscesses occur in people who are otherwise well. There is usually no underlying cause, and no further problems usually occur once it has gone.

Thanks to http://www.patient.co.uk/ for this.

So, Once again I was admitted in the hospital. They gave me anesthesia, which I was really happy about (To have the anesthesiologist come and administer the drug cost me $10). I didn't feel a thing. I didn't even know I passed out, I kept waiting for them to start the operation.

I stayed in the hospital for observation - hungry and thirsty - til 9PM when she released me. I'm feeling MUCH better today.

This morning I was thinking about all these physical problems and I was reminded of the following verse: "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate your vulnerability! You're the best!

the mccollums... said...

i hope you are feeling better!!