Thursday, March 29, 2007

Breaking The Fellowship

The expression"breaking the fellowship"comes from my mom who considers people who watch TV in different rooms as "breaking the fellowship."

You see, mom will sit and watch a television program that she doesn't like just so she can be downstairs with my dad and not break the fellowship rather than go upstairs and put on something she'd like to watch.

You'd think that mom and dad rarely see each other since the evening fellowship is so important- Not So. Mom and dad have worked together in the same office 5 days a week since the early 1980s.

As for me, after many many years of the family not breaking fellowship, I've gotten in the habit of staying downstairs and watching TV with my parents too - when I'm in the US.

But I am here to tell you today-I'm not gonna do it anymore, or maybe I should say- I am going to break the fellowship from now on.

I just cannot emotionally take another CSI, Law & Order,Without A Trace or Cold Case. Oh Cold Case is the WORST. I sat watching it on Sunday night because that's what's on and what mom and dad usually watch and, as usual, I sat horrified at the plot. Horrified. I finally look over and BOTH mom and dad are asleep. Asleep.

I turned it off and put on the Food Network. Last week's Cold Case so traumatized me that I had hardly gotten over it when the new episode came around. Not anymore people. Not anymore.

From now on I am sticking to shows I like and that's it. Break the fellowship or not.

Extreme Makeover Home Edition - LOVE it. Love Ty.

What Not to Wear - Love Clinton and Stacy. (and my fashion sense has improved.)

Survivor - I'm so there.

Are we catching a theme here. Yes, I love reality TV, I'm not ashamed to admit it, but it's a whole lot better than shows about pedophiles and car wrecks and murderers in my book.

All except for the original CSI. I'll keep the fellowship for that one.

No comments: