Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Treasure Island

I've read loads of books since my last book review post several months ago, but I'm getting back into the groove and I'm ready to stick my 2 cents out there on my most recent read.

Treasure Planet is one of my favorite Disney animated movies and since seeing it for the first time a couple years ago I've been itching to read Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. I am neither a lover nor a hater of classics but I like them and occasionally am in the mood for one. So when I saw Treasure Island at a yard sale over the summer I snatched it up. It's stayed on my book shelf til a couple days ago when I was in need of a new read.

I loved it.

I couldn't put it down and once I started, I zipped right on through it.

OK, yes, the language is archaic (1883 seaman's language) but you get used to it and I found it enjoyable after a while. The story was adventurous and fast moving (most of the time) but I think the thing I loved the most was the same thing that attracted me to Treasure Planet: the main character, Jim Hawkins. Other than having a really cool name, he's a great little character that I just loved.*

Pick it up for summer read - no not for school.

* I enjoyed all the characters in this book. And if you've seen Treasure Planet, it's fun to finally see how the characters translated into fantastical creatures while keeping their original personalities.

No comments: