Saturday, August 11, 2007

Crying And Sighing

On Thursday I finally got the copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in my hot little hand. I started reading around 12 noon and finished somewhere in the middle of the night (I'm guessing between 2-3AM).

I found it to be a very satisfying read.

I am now going to move into the realm of thoughts and comments on the novel itself which are major spoilers. So, please do not read on if you have not already read the book but plan to eventually - or if you would really rather just poke out your own eye than read even the words "Harry Potter" one more time. Thank you very much.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!

First, I am still devastated over Fred's death. I balled when it happened as I read in the middle of the night and I admit to clutching my pillow the next morning and weeping all over again. There is something so utterly sad to me about a twin dying while the other lives.

None of the other deaths affected me nearly as much. I breathed a sigh of relief that Ron survived, according to JKR he was due to die but during the writing of OOTP she changed her mind. Whew.

I LOVED that it was Mrs. Weasley who did in Bellatrix. As a mother - I relate. I see a mother's heart throughout all 7 of the HP books. I think it's one of the main reasons I love them so much.

The Horcruxes:

Diary - Harry
Ring - Dumbledore
Locket - Ron
Cup - Hermoine
Diadem - Crabbe's Fire
Harry - Voldemort
Nagini - Neville

I'm really glad that everyone got to destroy one. And I literally CHEERED when Neville pulled Gryffindor's sword out of the sorting hat and decapitated Nagini! Yeah Neville!

Neville is by far my favorite non-main character. If he had died, I may have never ever recovered. Thank you JKR for putting him in the epilogue too!

Hermoine and Ron: Over SPEW. SPEW! Who'd have ever thought.

Next week I'll start my 2nd, slower read to attempt to catch all the stuff I missed on my first voracious reading.

No comments: