Monday, October 31, 2005

I Admit It

Ok, I admit it. I love fiction, yes, I do. Now that that's out in the open - I can get on to my book reviews.

I spent most of the 7 drive last week reading Double Shot by Diane Mott Davidson. "Her best book." According to the Denver Post. It’s printed right there on the front of the book. Ummm, OK, I’d say it was good. Definitely a bit more on the dark and dangerous side than her others. It’s not my favorite of the series tho, that place is reserved for Sticks and Scones. Much more my style.

I finished Double Shot and started Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne & King but I didn’t have much time to read while actually in the village. Lack of light was one problem (I finished Double Shot with a flashlight after the girls were asleep.) We were also pretty busy, not to mention that C. was pretty sick and refused to go or be with anyone but me.

This left the ride home. Since we started late I only had a couple hours of daylight but I started Black Rose (Nora Roberts) anyway. It was a fine read, but I wouldn’t have picked it up had it not been part of a trilogy. Just ehhn.

Yesterday, I read more of the editing book and I plan to jump in again after I finish this post. So far I’ve learned that I need to be careful to stay away from “narrative summary” and focus on “scenes.” Basically let events in the story unfold in “real time.” Like through conversations. All right. Got it.

The second chapter is on Characterization. I’m going through it now. It’s really hard to know if I’m actually following what they say to do in my writing or not. The authors said in the intro to put your manuscript away and come back to it after some time with “fresh eyes.” Maybe after I read this book and pull out my manuscript some things will start to glare. I hope so.

I really just hope that my stories are light years more interesting than this boring post. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Elena said...

Have you read Eragon? I think it's a different genre than the ones you mentioned (fantasy) but I just finished it. It's like Harry Potter in that it's really long but you can breeze through it. I enjoyed it but I don't think it's great literature

Rebecca O said...

I haven't but it's on my list of books I want to read. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres, possible my very favorite.