Sunday, January 22, 2006

The Twilight Labyrinth

I guess that most people have their little areas of interest. Civil War, Quilting, Movie Star Gossip, Stock Market, Computers, Star Wars... just some examples from off the top of my head.

When you look at these peoples' bookshelves it's not unusual to find books on these topics or on whatever floats their boats. The favored topic books will often be in the minority, sure, but there probably will be a small line of well read and muchly enjoyed books on one or two (generally related) topics of the readers interest.

I think we all have something that just lights our fires.

Here's a hint to mine. The title of this entry is the title of a book I finished reading this afternoon. The subtitle reads, "Why Does Spiritual Darkness Linger Where It Does?"

Spiritual warfare, that's what does it for me. I have other interests, but the non-fiction books I devour are almost exclusively on the topic of the spiritual realm.

I found this book, written by George Otis Jr., in the notes of another book on this topic that I read several years ago. I asked for this one for Christmas and, as you know by now, mom came through.

Did I like it? Oh yeah. The author spent 7 years (or something) researching for it and there are almost as many notes* at the back of the book as there is info in the chapters.

This book is NOT for the faint of heart and it's not something that I would recommend to a broad audience of people. However, if you're at all like me and passages of scripture like Ephesians 6:12ff are NOT abstract and ARE something that you can wrap your head around, you might want to read this book.

Well researched and presented in a logical order, The Twilight Labyrinth reads like a novel and informs like a textbook.

I'll be absorbing what I've read over the next few days and weeks and I wouldn't be surprised to see future posts on the topic. For now, The Twilight Labyrinth will join it's small but select group of companions on my bookshelf.

*I love notes. Sometimes I just read them on their own.

No comments: