Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Christian Colony: Part 2

Sunday night I opened a book I’ve been reading called, “When Godly People Do Ungodly Things” by Beth Moore. Good book.

I hadn’t picked it up in about 10 days since I tend to read non-fiction off and on and fiction straight through. This, being non-fiction, gets picked up and read at intervals. It’s a hard cover book and I am loath to bend the pages on hard cover books so I usually use the dust jacket flap or a bookmark to save my place. However, I also have 2 small children so invariably my place is lost.

So was the case on Sunday. I had to flip through the end of the book to find where I left off. I opened the book and looked down and my eyes fell right here: “We’ve been sent to the very world the church will probably grow increasingly tempted to avoid. The huge irony is this: we still wouldn’t avoid unhealthy relationships because so many of us lack wholeness, having never allowed God to perform His work in us through and through. Here’s the shocker: we wouldn’t even avoid demonic seductions by shutting out the world and limiting our relationships to those within our church communities. Do you know why? Because so much of it takes place right there.” Pg. 149.

Hmmm, well, that hit home.

I don’t know what will happen in the future. It’s all in God’s hands, but I do know this. We battle not against flesh and blood and it doesn’t really matter where we live, there’s no avoiding the battle.

No comments: