Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Pointers Welcome

I seem to find a new love every year. A passion. Three years ago it was quilting. Then writing. My new passion is – Growing things. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I’ve decided to start with tomatoes.

I bought a packet of seeds, followed the directions, and planted them last week. Over the last few days the first green shoots have been popping up all over. It Is Thrilling! I can’t wait until they’re 3 inches high so I can transplant them outside in the garden. I’m going to get a little fence to put around them to keep the animals away and baby, baby, baby them.

I think I over watered in the first few days, not just the tomatoes but all my potted plants around the house. After those first shoots came up, I was zealous. If a little bit of water could do that, I thought, what could MORE water do?! Whoops. OK, I rectified myself.

But any pointers on raising tomatoes? I invite them, just leave a comment.

This does remind me of one of my guests of the last few days who was the lovely wife of one of our pastors but who had the horrible habit that so many women over here have, of - Giving Unsolicited Advice.

“Don’t light that with a match!”

“Why do you have the water running?”

“Don’t let her eat that.”

“What are you doing?”

“Sister, This much Chai?”

It Is My House! I feel like screaming sometimes. But I don’t. I bite my tongue and smile. And practice, Grace Grace Grace. It’s good for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about tomatoes because every time we try to grow them the cat eats them before they get too far. Oh, but don't overfertilize, that can kill them.

I have been getting into growing succulent plants (like jade) though which is fun. I just transplanted some into little pots. Ariel doesn't seem to eat them which is a plus.