Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Screaming Child

Was not mine. Thank goodness. I have been truly blessed to have children who travel well in planes. There wasn’t even any throwing up this time.

There was, however, a little girl next to us who had 2 separate screaming sessions of about 10 minutes each. 20 minutes in the course of 8 hours may not seem like much, but I’m sure they felt like an eternity to her parents.

This was also our last flight where we would have “special privileges” by being the parents of a child under the age of 2. On international flights this means that you pay only 10% of the adult rate but the child does not get a seat. What they get is a bassinet or car seat type thing that folds down from the bulk head and the flight attendant sets up.

Since this only works at the bulkhead sections you are generally seated near other parents with children under the age of two. I cannot even begin to describe the smell…

So, now that C. is over 2 I have mixed feelings about loosing our “special privileges.” Yes there is more leg room at the bulkhead but when I weigh that against the added smells and sounds that “privilege” brings, oddly enough, I don’t feel too nostalgic.

I will miss that cheap rate tho…

No comments: