Monday, September 04, 2006

Hindi Movies

I went to the city yesterday where we're thinking of moving some time in the future. They have McDonalds there so the girls took the day off from school and we had a long lunch at McDs. O. and everybody else went out somewhere else and ate curry.

O. is usually the last person who wants to go to the movies but there is a theatre at the same place as the McDs and he kept going on about seeing what was showing. So we checked the listings and there were 2 English films: "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" rated "A" for Adult and "8 Below" which when I saw a preview for it during another movie - made me cry. Both were out.

So, it came about that I watched for the very first time in my life, an entire Hindi Bollywood made film. Oh, I've seen bits and pieces on TV but I've never watched one from beginning to end.

Well, we picked a winner yesterday. The movie was "Lage Raho Munna Bhai." If this every comes your way with subtitles (or if you already know Hindi) - watch it. It's worth it.

It is actually the 2nd part to another film which I never saw and it didn't make a difference to me.

The entire movie was about Change. Change in us. I love movies about any kind of change. It's my favorite genre, if it can be called such.

This movie had Munna and his friend who are basically "arm breakers" for another rich guy, being guided by the spirit of Gandhi to do things in a Gandhian way.

One bit of dialogue went like this, Munna and his friend are talking from behind bars in jail, Friend says: " We've illegally evicted 115 people from their houses, we've kidnapped people, we've broken over 250 bones, but we've never set foot in a jail. Today, for the first time in our lives we asked Sorry from someone and we get sent straight to jail."

It was really cute. It's about Telling the Truth, Asking Forgiveness, Showing Forviness and doing things in a non-violent way.

Definitely worth a watch.

No comments: