Monday, November 28, 2005

A Glass Of Water

I spent several hours in the sun yesterday. It was ladies visiting and we went by walk. By the end of the day I had 3 chai s and 1 coffee. Caffeine overdose to say the least; that in addition to the sun over-exposure put me down with a fever in the afternoon.

However, I pulled myself together to go to Choir practice just because I love it so much and I’m a firm believer in working through a fever. Don’t just lay in bed, you’ll feel worse, get up and do something constructive. 9 out of 10 times that philosophy works for me. I guess yesterday was the 10th time because I came home from practice and collapsed. My limbs felt shaky, I had a headache, diarrhea and an upset stomach and the fever – still.

I was fairly certain it was due to the sun and possibly dehydration. I laid in bed and prayed that God would send someone upstairs so I could ask them to bring me a glass of water. I finally got the strength to call out to my nephew to bring me water and then I just collapsed back down.

Then E. came. My 5 year old daughter. When she saw I was sick she said, “I’m going to tell all this to God.” Then she said, “Mommy, don’t make food. Give Phoebe money and I’ll give you medicine.” She massaged my forehead. She rubbed my upset tummy for a long time. Earlier that afternoon she and C. washed my feet with water, soap, then water again and finally dried them with a towel. All of this without prompting. I thought to myself, how in the world did I get such a nurturer for a daughter? She definitely didn’t get it from my side of the family. She’s a jewel.

While E. was rubbing my tummy, 2 girls from church showed up. Their brother had been over playing with my nephew and he went home and told them I was sick. They came right away. Awon massaged me from head to toe for over an hour while Aza made me special drinks to replenish my dehydration and took care of my girls. Finally, Awon made food for me and forced me to eat something*, and it helped! I thank God for them.

And I thank Him that even though I just prayed for a glass of water – He gave me so much more. He’s just so wonderful.

So, this morning I was fine. A little left over tummy pain, but otherwise back to normal.

Oh, O. is away at a conference. He just called, he met K.P Yohanan and got his picture taken with him. That’s cool.

* Awon also cleaned my whole room, put away clothes, made my bed (I had decided to change the sheets that day) By the time Awon came I was laying on a mattress with no sheets. I figured I'd just sleep that way. I went to the bathroom and she put new sheets on my bed and got me all tucked in. God bless her.

No comments: