Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Fall

I have just a whole bunch of entries in mind to post today but since I can’t find O’s computer (I think it’s in his office) and because of a sore thumb I’m not sure I’ll get to them all tonight.

I had such a wild weekend. I can’t wait to post about it, but pictures are a must and without O’s laptop I’m stuck.

Then there is my thumb.

O. and our main ministry guys were at my house all morning and afternoon watching the one day cricket match between India and Pakistan. Actually, everybody in India and Pakistan were watching I think, not all at my house tho. Anyway, they were supposed to leave at 11AM for a 5 day conference on Leadership but the match slowed them up a bit.

So, it came that it was almost 3 PM and since I teach my class at 3:30, I was really hoping to catch a ride to school so I wouldn’t have to walk. It’s gotten really hot in the afternoon and 15 minutes in the 3PM Indian sun didn’t sound fun.

So, I changed into a saree and started walking down our large marble staircase to get a drink of water from the kitchen. Everybody was there. O. and 4 main guys who work with us.

Halfway down the steps my beloved Reef flip flops that my mom gave me and I wear ALWAYS - except to bed, while taking a bath and into other people’s houses or church - slip. (I think I’ve worn the bottom totally smooth).

So, there, in the middle of the staircase in full view of EVERYONE, not only do I slip, but I fall on my behind and bounce down about 3 (maybe it was 4) steps until coming to a full stop spread-eagle.

At this point everyone is on their feet coming to my rescue. I immediately proclaimed that I was Uninjured and then ran into the kitchen where I proceeded to laugh hysterically with Phoebe for a good 10 minutes before composing myself enough to enter the living room again.

It didn’t last, the composure that it, I walked into the room, tried to talk to O. and burst out laughing. Of course, the one time I’ve ever slipped on those stairs would be in front of a room full of people. I couldn’t have been Alone.

Anyway, if I were going to slip and make a HUGE fool of myself, these are people I could do it in front of. We’re closer than family over here. As soon as they ascertained that I was fine, they laughed right along with me – or at me – or, you know.

I did slightly skin my elbow, bruise my right butt cheek (fortunately I am VERY well padded) but mostly I wrenched my thumb, probably while wildly attempting to halt my decent.

However, the loss of my left thumb has not seemed to shorten my wordy entries in the least. Huh.

*See the pictures in the next post "Wedding In My Living Room" for a view of the offending staircase in the background.

No comments: