Monday, February 20, 2006

Narnia

This is the second time around for this post since the first time I wrote it the power went out and I lost it. Eh.

Last Sunday evening I went with E., C. and the other 4 members of my household (minus O.) to see Narnia. It was showing in a theater and hour and 45 minutes away. We made the drive because I really wanted to see it and we hadn't been out for something fun in a long while. The English version of the movie had already passed out of the theater but it was showing dubbed in Hindi.

I was a little reluctant for fear of bad/annoying dubbing but it worked out for the best since out of the 7 of us I was the only English speaker (both E. & C. prefer Hindi).

The dubbing was actually very well done and since I wasn't familiar with any of the actors' real voices it was less distracting than it otherwise might have been. (You cannot imagine how annoying it is to hear Shaggy, Velma, Fred, Daphne and Scooby speak in Hindi on the Cartoon Network over here.)

Back to the movie. I did enjoy it, maybe more for the night out and the popcorn and Pepsi than anything else... I thought the special effects were not as well done as they could have been and wished they had just toned it down instead of going for poor quality. And the story seemed really rushed to me but, then again, that is inherent in the tale.

However, the casting was superb. The children were wonderful, especially Lucy. My favorite scene was the battle when the animals and creatures came crashing together.

We all had a great time and I just wish that there were another English movie on it's way to look forward to but according to the previews the only one on its way is Dick and Jane...

No comments: